[CentOS] Centos+AD integration (uid/gid problems)

Tue Mar 29 18:29:16 UTC 2011
Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org>

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 02:13:13PM -0400, Christopher Hearn wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2011, at 1:18 PM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 06:07:46PM +0100, nux at li.nux.ro wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I need to have several EL machines in an AD env.
> >> Joining the machines was easier than expected using authconfig, but what
> >> happens now is that blahdomain\blahuser gets assigned a
> >> different, random ID each time I use a different station.
> >> In AD I did specify the UID and GID in the UNIX Attributes tab for blahuser,
> >> but it gets totally ignored; so do the other values (for home, shell etc).
> >>
> >> Ideally I'd have all the users assigned a static uid and gid from AD and
> >> have /home on all machines mounted from NFS; but right now if I log in with
> >> blahuser to another machine my $HOME is owned by another random id.
> >>
> >> Sugesstions? What am I missing? I'm quite a noob with Windows :)
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >
> > You might try taking a look at idmap_ad(8) (and the other idmap_* man
> > pages as well).
> >
> > I'm not sure which idmap backend gets used by default (RID?).  I did
> > think idmap_rid would result in consistent UID/GID mappings based on
> > the SID assuming you choose the same ranges on each server...
> >
> > Ray
>
> If you use something like Centrify Express or Likewise Open, the
> UID/GIDs are calculated the same way every time on every system that
> uses the software so it makes, IMO, setup & management a lot easier.
>
> Chris

I can vouch for Likewise Open just working.  However, it too is based
on Samba and based on the OP's information, he should be able to
achieve deterministic UID/GID numbers across his system with standard
OS packages only if that is his goal.

That said, if you have a variety of platforms and OS'es to support,
Likewise is a great option... (never tried Centrify)

Ray