[CentOS] finding the right serial port, enabling & configuring it [was: Re: fax software]

Tue Mar 29 19:21:42 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 02:07:46 pm Robert Heller wrote:
> Unless you spend serious bucks, ALL *PCI* modems are win modems (there
> are one or two very high-end 'industrial grade' PCI 'hardware' modems).
> Many older *ISA* modems were 'hardware' modems and were meant for old
> i586 and i486 systems that lacked the CPU cycles to handle a
> controllerless modem (winmodem).  And ISA slots are pretty much
> non-existent on modern motherboards.

I have a couple of 'real hardware' PCI modems, neither of which were very expensive.  One is an ActionTec, and I bought it new-old-stock for $15.  The other is by Digitan, a DS560-558 that I got with a Sun Ultra 10 workstation.  Both are Lucent Venus chipsets and are full hardware controller PCI modems.

I have a third one here somewhere that is a more expensive one, a Multitech, I think, but I haven't been able to lay hold on it.  There is a Multitech on eBay right now for $19.99; a real deal for an industrial-grade modem.

For more information about modem chipsets, see http://www.modemsite.com/56k/chipset.asp and
http://techpatterns.com/forums/about483.html