[CentOS] Switching to php53

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Sun May 1 08:55:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 09:40:13AM +0100, Dave Cross wrote:

> This is exactly what worried me. Thanks for confirming my fears.

Something else I should have pointed out earlier is that the php53
package from TUV does _not_ have a Provide: php in effect; meaning that
this is not a fully drop-in replacement for the default version and will
cause issues if you try to use it with packages that require "php" to be
provided for - squirrelmail is one such example of a package that CentOS
provides that will not work with php53 but there are many others.

There are some other issues present with php53 as well.  People needing
php53 support may very well be happier with the package as provided by
the IUS repository; it's more complete and more compatible than the one
that TUV is supplying.  More information on IUS is available at:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

Please take a few moments and read the IUS web page that's linked off
the CentOS wiki article in its entirety to understand how IUS works.

							John
--
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems
unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.

-- Konrad Hermann Josef Adenauer (1876-1967), West German Chancellor from
   1949-1963, as quoted in Through Russian Eyes: President Kennedy's 1036
   Days (1973) by Anatoli-Andreevich Gromyko