[CentOS] Centos as Gateway ? (Router/transparent proxy)

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Mon May 2 12:18:53 UTC 2011

Roland Roland wrote:
>   Hi All,
>
> I'm lately suffering from Quota abuse at home. believe it or not my
> teenagers are eating through my allowed quota.
>
> Hence, i'm thinking of setting up a centos machine to work as such:
>
> HDSL modem(natted to an onboard dhcp service for lan users) -> Centos -
>  > Switch - LAN users
>

> Hw specs:
>
> 3 GB ram
> 3.0 core 2 duo
> 2 X 1 TB HDD
> 2 X 1 Gb NIC
>

> Centos will contain the following:
>
>      1. DHCP # is there a way i could use the modem's dhcp service
> instead? or using a centos based dhcp service is better?
>      2. Samba # sharing files for lan users
>      3. Squid
>      4. clamav
>      5. OpenRadius # wifi authentication
>      6. knockd service (anyone tried it? i read about this service a few
> weeks ago and am wondering if it's worth giving it a shot... for public
> access to the server )
>      6. Things which are needed :
>              a. Ability to separate Wireless router from LAN. (thinking
> of vlans though as i have a dumb switch am thinking of adding a 3d NIC
> to my desktop and dedicating it to the wifi ? )
>              b. Accountablity of quota and bandwidth used (i was
> thinking of SARG and SQstat for squid)
>              c. using some sort of shell script that will parse squid
> logs (mysar will help me access squid logs through mysql) and if someone
> bypassed their allowed quota for the day they will be moved to a delay
> pool with lower bandwidth.
>
> As you noticed above, my whole "connection management" is relying on
> squid,  i'm worried that it will process only traffic that's forwarded
> to port "80" instead of everything going through the server. any idea if
> thats the case?
>

> I previously thought of untangled, and IPCOp, though i don't want a
> standalone router as i'd like to be able to use VirtualBox over it
> occasionally.
> waiting for your advice about the above setup, keep in mind that i don't
> mind changing the setup if there's something better to use, actually i
> do prefer it.
>
> Best,
>

> --Roland

Check out ClearOS. It's based on CentOS and can install extra CentOS
packages you need. If you add CentOS repositories in yum config you
could add KVM instead of VirtualBox, or headless VirtualBox it that is
possible.
Almost all you need is there and packaged in nice Web interface. I also
always add Webmin to it.

Ljubomir