[CentOS] Centos as Gateway ? (Router/transparent proxy)

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon May 2 16:30:24 UTC 2011

Roland Roland <R_O_L_A_N_D at ...> writes:

> Hence, i'm thinking of setting up a centos machine to work as such:
>
> HDSL modem(natted to an onboard dhcp service for lan users) -> Centos -
>  > Switch - LAN users
>
> Hw specs:
>
> 3 GB ram
> 3.0 core 2 duo
> 2 X 1 TB HDD
> 2 X 1 Gb NIC

Your proposed configuration is pretty close to what I've been running for
several years (my original server had an AMD K-6 and ran Red Hat 6). The
hardware is way more than sufficient.  I have CentOS doing the natting instead
of the modem.  Just use the modem as a pass through.

Pretty much everything I've done is documented on my blog at
http://davenjudy.org/davesBlog.  I describe what I've done on the blog and that
way I document what I did for my future use and someone else might be able to
use it.

> Centos will contain the following:
>
>      1. DHCP # is there a way i could use the modem's dhcp service
> instead? or using a centos based dhcp service is better?
>      2. Samba # sharing files for lan users

See my blog.

>      3. Squid
>      4. clamav

Don't do clamav since I even got my wife to use Linux.  No real need for squid.

>      5. OpenRadius # wifi authentication

See my blog.

>      6. knockd service (anyone tried it? i read about this service a few
> weeks ago and am wondering if it's worth giving it a shot... for public
> access to the server )

I just used public keys for ssh and disabled password login.  I also suggest you
move the sshd port to something non-standard just to cut down on the fruitless
attempts to login there.  The script kiddies generally don't scan to see if sshd
is listening on a non-standard port.

>      6. Things which are needed :
>              a. Ability to separate Wireless router from LAN. (thinking
> of vlans though as i have a dumb switch am thinking of adding a 3d NIC
> to my desktop and dedicating it to the wifi ? )

3rd NIC is probably the easiest with a crossover cable to the WiFi AP.  That way
you can easily set up specific firewall rules for the WiFi traffic.

>              b. Accountablity of quota and bandwidth used (i was
> thinking of SARG and SQstat for squid)
>              c. using some sort of shell script that will parse squid
> logs (mysar will help me access squid logs through mysql) and if someone
> bypassed their allowed quota for the day they will be moved to a delay
> pool with lower bandwidth.

Hopefully, someone else can help you with these.

Most of my recent blog posts deal with setting up IPv6.  You'll need to look
through the "CentOS server set up and maintenance notes" section for some of the
older articles (DHCP, RADIUS, etc.).

Cheers,
Dave