[CentOS] Boot speed

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 3 16:01:37 UTC 2011

On 5/3/2011 9:42 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>> If you've got one nic, it'a a pretty sure bet that any detection order
>> is going to call it eth0.  Add a few more and I think you'll change your
>> opinion, especially with that headless situation where all you can do is
>> move wires until ssh works.  That's extra fun when you on the phone and
>> paying by the hour for remote support.
>
> *shrug* I don't have a lot of systems with more than one NIC, but I can
> always do ethtool eth<whatever>  till I see a link detected - that's a
> matter of a minute or two, unless you've got a *lot* of ports.

We typically have at least 2 active, some with 4 or 5, and the machines
mostly come with broadcomm NICs on the motherboard which we ignore and
add Intel server cards.  So there are always 4 to 8 possibilities and 2
to 5 connected wires with link up and the intel cards have an
approximately random chance of starting at eth0 or eth2.  We have
machines at several locations and like to ship preconfigured disks to
meet them, but it doesn't work very well.  If we only used one OS I
suppose it would be worth building some specialized infrastructure to
support it's quirks, but it would be nicer if it just did something
predictable.  At least most of them go to our larger data centers where
we have our own operators present to configure the addresses.  These
machines generally aren't rebooted for many months at a time and are in
load balanced groups so it doesn't matter how long it takes.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com