[CentOS] Syntax Help on a Bash Script

Robert

bobster58 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 04:33:52 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I'm brand new at doing anything linux and would like feedback on this
script I'm trying to understand from an example I'm working on..

Oh, running Centos 5.6

Anyhow, I run this bash script:

#!/bin/bash
# send data to the table in the MySQL database

MYSQL='which mysql'

if [ $# -ne 4 ]
then
      echo "Usage: mtest4 empid lastname firstname salary"
else
      statement="insert into employees values ($1, '$2','$3', $4)"
      $MYSQL test << EOF
      $statement
EOF
      If [ $? -eq 0 ]
      then
           echo "Data successfully added"
      else
           echo "Problem adding data"
      fi
fi

and here is the error I get:

[Bobster at localhost ~]$ ./mtest4 5 Johnson John 120000
./mtest4: line 15: syntax error near unexpected token `then'
./mtest4: line 15: `     then'

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Bobster