[CentOS] USB->Parallel cable compatibility

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Fri May 6 13:53:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 07:26:43AM -0400, Steve Clark wrote:
> >I have an installation where we're replacing a rather old Linux
> >box with a new one that has no parallel ports.  The old box has
> >two parallel ports going to Okidata printers.

> I have been using a usb-to-parallel adapter connected to an old Canon
> LBP-860 for several
> years now. lsusb list it as:
> WinChipHead CH34x printer adapter cable

In Jan 2010 I bought a generic parallel USB adapter from ebay for $3.29
(inc shipping) and used it on CentOS 5 with my old old laser printer.

It just worked.

lsusb identified it as
   ID 067b:2305 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2305 Parallel Port

Hmm, ebay description was "USB TO PARALLEL PRINTER ADAPTER 1284 CABLE 36
PIN IEEE".

Yeah, this looks like the same model

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PARALLEL-PRINTER-ADAPTER-1284-CABLE-36-PIN-IEEE-/130517298222?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e636fec2e

--