[CentOS] Typing "startx" gives me a black scrren, have to reboot to get back to runlevel 3

Sat May 7 17:52:04 UTC 2011

Gilbert Sebenste wrote on 05/07/2011 11:57 AM:
> I get a ton of stuff before this, but just info messages. Where should I
> start looking to fix this problem? I use the Redhat experimental kernels
> at http://epople.redhat.com/jwilson/el5/. Running CentOS 5.6,
> fully patched as of this morning with the gdb/OO updates.

Not sure what the experimental kernels have to do with it, but you might
try a standard kernel.

See if this helps:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/ConfigureNewVideoCard

If still having problems then see FAQ #23 at
http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General

Phil