[CentOS] Configuring ipv6 reboot persistence, CentOS 5.6

David Mehler

dave.mehler at gmail.com
Sat May 7 20:28:45 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm running a CentOS 5.6 server through linode. I am atempting to
configure it for ipv6, previously this had been done though not by me
on a ubuntu box so the hardware can take it. I've got an ipv6 tunnel
through Hurricane Electric and at a shell prompt have done the
following:

ifconfig sit0 up
ifconfig sit0 inet6 tunnel ::IPV4 Address
ifconfig sit1 up
ifconfig sit1 inet6 add IPV6 Address
route -A inet6 add ::/0 dev sit1

Testing that with a ping6 works fine. I then want it to persist across
reboots. So I added the following to /etc/sysconfig/network:

       NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
       IPV6_DEFAULTDEV=sit1

and I made /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-sit1

       DEVICE=sit1
       BOOTPROTO=none
       ONBOOT=yes
       IPV6INIT=yes
       IPV6TUNNELIPV4=IPV4 Address
       IPV6ADDR=IPV6 Address

Reboot the box, check sit1 and it has an ip address. Running that
ping6 command says the network can't be reached. I have to take the
interface down and rerun those above commands manually. I'd appreciate
any suggestions.

Thanks.
Dave.