[CentOS] kswapd taking 100% cpu with no swap on system

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Mon May 9 15:09:52 UTC 2011

Please don't top-post it's hard to follow.

On Monday, May 09, 2011 03:07:57 PM Ali Ahsan wrote:
> Thanks for reply,I dont know it has some thing to do with linux
> scheduler  but some on suggested about linux scheduler cat
> /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler there are quite few of them noop
> [anticipatory] deadline cfq.I have changed from cfq default to
> anticipatory,Now problem is less for me kswapd0  take 10-50% of cpu in
> very short bust less then milliseconds.Also i have changed
> /proc/sys/vm/pagecache from 100 to 10.

This means that you're limiting the amount of RAM that can be used as
pagecache (basically caching I/O) to 10%. This may not be an issue for you but
may also severely limit your performance (all depending on work load).

An alternative may be to simple set swappiness to 0.

> Any more suggestion will help me
> make server better,As for i have read the best scheduler for databases
> are deadline like for mysql it worked great.

You'll really have to try them to know what works for you. The two main
variables that'll affect the choice is your I/O load and the device under
(type of raid for example). For example some raid controllers really prefer
noop.

Lastly, you didn't tell us if you're on i386-pae or x86_64 which may make a
big difference.

/Peter