[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed May 11 20:18:51 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, May 11, 2011 01:51:08 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
> I've always been a fan of the
> coordination they have among the additional repositories that is lacking
> in yum/rpm equivalents and was impressed when my 9.0.4 installs
> painlessly upgraded themselves to 10.0.4.

You must not have many PPA's enabled.  And you must not use PostgreSQL, which won't painlessly upgrade on anything.....

> Admittedly, not as many
> locally configured apps as on my Centos boxes, but it all still seemed
> to be working after the major-version over-the-network upgrade.

I've had the opposite experience with several clients, using Ubuntu as a desktop, not a server.  I've had a few issues with servers, too.

Timely updating takes effort; either I pay with money for upstream's binaries or I pay with time for either upstream's source RPMs (which can be delayed) or a rebuild's binaries.  Or I pay with transition cost to a different distribution.  Those are the choices. TANSTAAFL.