[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri May 13 00:52:43 UTC 2011

On Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:34 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Thursday, May 12, 2011 06:23:52 AM Christopher Chan wrote:
>> 6.04->10.04? Nah, you are supposed to jump to 8.04 and then to 10.04.
>
> I did 6.06 ->  8.04 ->  10.04, and it broke.  Badly.

Ahem. With apt-get dist-upgrade or do-release-upgrade? Things break with
apt...do-release-upgrade apparently has some extra logic to not break
things...

>>> Upgrades are difficult problems to solve, and at the moment I don't know of any distribution (that claims upgradability) that gets it completely right for all the cases I've tried.
>>
>> Not even Debian?
>
> The one box I ran Debian on was somewhat unusual, and I lost SMP capability on the box upgrading the one time I did.  The box is a DEC AlphaServer 2100 (Sable), and Sable SMP is hard to get these days; the last Debian kernel I know of that supported it was a 2.2 series kernel......

oh. Ah well, I hoped to see some response as I have not ever used Debian
yet.

> Looking more like I'm going to do at least one, and possibly more, SPARCs on Debian, I'll get a little more experience with it then.  I'd rather do CentOS, and be consistent across servers in terms of administration....

Then we can know for sure that Ubuntu really mucked things up and
therefore their special upgrade tool.

>> On the OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana side of things, I have not had problems.
>> And you get a complete rollback option too as a bonus.
>
> Rollbacks would be good.

Maybe after btrfs becomes stable and standard...