[CentOS] Modify Parameters at system boot

Marian Marinov mm at yuhu.biz
Fri May 13 11:04:48 UTC 2011

On Friday 13 May 2011 07:04:33 Frederick Abrams wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> i'm trying to modify some parameters but when system reboots it doesn't
> load. For the sysctl if I run sysctl -p then it changes
>
> /etc/sysctl.conf
>      net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_max = 1048576
>
> /etc/modprobe.conf
>      options ip_conntrack hashsize=131072
>
> after reboot results
>
> cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max
> 65536
>
> cat /sys/module/nf_conntrack/parameters/hashsize
> 16384
>
> expected results
>
> cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max
> 1048576
>
> cat /sys/module/nf_conntrack/parameters/hashsize
> 131072

It is possible that your iptables modules are loaded after the sysctl.conf is
executed.
Keep in mind that sysctl.conf is loaded during network startup.

About the options... at least with kernel  2.6.18.0194.el5 the right option
is:

options ipt_hashsize 131072

Also keep in mind that you have to remove the '=' sign from modprobe.conf

Marian
--
Best regards,
Marian Marinov