[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Sun May 15 21:23:45 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:
> No, I'm not.  Neither I nor Dag, as far as I saw, brought SL into the
> conversation at all.  The question is not whether CentOS can build
> releases in less time than SL, or even a reasonable amount of time.  The
> question that Dag posed was why users (or the release team) should
> expect 6.1 to be done in one month, when 5.6 took three and was a fairly
> well rehearsed process by that point.

Obviously I missed the part where I (or someone) said (or claimed)
that 6.1 could be done in a month. What does a month have to do with
anything?

There is a certain amount of time required to rebuild the "upstream"
releases. Whatever that amount of time is, CentOS and SL seem to
require about the same number. So I'm trying to figure out... why is
CentOS attacked so much for taking too long? -- whereas SL is lauded
as the "go to" distribution?

As I showed in the list of release dates, CentOS and SL have almost
always been fairly close (CentOS usually a little quicker). So why the
claim that CentOS is getting worse on release dates? (General claim,
not specifically yours.) I see no pattern in the release dates to
indicate CentOS is generally falling behind SL. As has mentioned too
many times now, CentOS is slower getting 6.0 out because they chose to
update 4.x and 5.x first. But the time to get all three releases
released appears to almost the same for both distributions.

And the reason I bring this up is 1) SL is mentioned in the subject
line and 2) SL is (I believe) the only other major community Red Hat
rebuilding project. So, who else should I be comparing CentOS release
dates with?

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6