[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Mon May 16 23:45:14 UTC 2011

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 05/15/2011 06:10 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Where is Ubuntu telling people exactly where they stand on producing a
>> their new releases.
>>
>> What about Red Hat ... how about Fedora.
>
> I don't know about Ubuntu, I don't use it.
>
> Fedora, on the other hand publishes their schedule:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/15/Schedule
> And the release life cycle:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Life_Cycle
> And their release criteria:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/ReleaseCriteria
> And release engineering documentation, including the names of
> responsible persons and directions for getting involved:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering
> And standard operating procedures:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/SOP
>
> The release criteria includes a Bugzilla list for a release blocker bug
> which shows users what issues currently need to be resolved before the
> release.  Users are very well informed about the state of the project.
>
> Fedora uses Koji to build packages.  Users can view build logs in the
> Koji interface as well.
>
> After building packages, maintainers push to Bodhi, where users can test
> the package and indicate success or failure before the package is
> finally published.
>
> If CentOS were run even remotely like Fedora, these discussions wouldn't
> come up.

There is no way that CentOS or any other REBUILD project can be run as
DEVELOPMENT project where you can build as you like. Scan both mailing
lists few months back where those differences were thoroughly explained.

<snip>

> All of that is more or less a distraction from the point at which this
> branch of the thread began.  One person suggested that 6.1 might take
> only a month, and that seems highly questionable.  Without making any
> value judgments about whether or not the distribution *should* be
> available in one month, or whether some other project can do it faster,
> and without questioning the competence of anyone, I still think it's
> legitimate to express doubts that a release can be made ready in that
> time frame.  There is no recent evidence that users can expect that.

It started much earlier then my post about "around 1 month" timeframe, I
would say a week or so at least in this thread allone. Real start of
discussion started several months ago. If you are brave enough, read
entire mail lists (both of them) and keep track of who said what, when
and as a response to what. Then you will have slightly different
perspective.

Ljubomir