[CentOS] So sorry! was: Re: EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Markus Falb markus.falb at fasel.at
Tue May 17 19:52:22 UTC 2011

On 17.5.2011 20:21, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
>> While this sounds like humorous way to deal with the problem,
>> what about
>> all of us silent users who just watch the list for news and generally
>> ignore the bonus nonsense that makes the list...
>>
>> We the silent would miss out on important news...
>
> Clearly, this would apply to the POSTING not reading abilities.
>
> AND, we would necessarily start out with "adult" posting abilities.
>
> What needs development:
> 1: After some time, if my posts irritate you (or yours me) then we post
> to the centos-moderator at centos.org address (currently non-existent),
> with a message subject of KARMA PLUS or KARMA MINUS and a message body
> of a name;
> 2: said name has their Karma adjusted accordingly.
> 3: At some configurable threshold of negative Karma, my (or your)
> posting rights turn off and we become a moderated poster.
> 4: If there is no moderator, we're made mute.
> 5: Every week, the negative Karma scores have +1 added; making the
> moderated status temporary.
> 6: No poster can adjust the karma of another poster more than once per
> week.
>
> It ain't a perfect specification, but it'd be an improvement on what we
> have.

I am mostly silent and I am not pleased about many things that were
said, but this is too much. I have to raise my voice.

If I understand correctly the things some people say is annoying you, so
you think about ways to censoring them. Quite a low level of tolerance
and thats baddest karma.

Maybe some of you feel assaulted, maybe some of you feel annoyed.
I think pretty much everyone get peeved by threads like this but likely
for different reasons. So many notions, so many slanting views, and also
so many self conceptions. And this is a good thing in my opinion. Do not
kill the C(ommunity) in CentOS, please.

Yes the traffic to noise ratio has been quite low lately, some things
are repeated over and over and this is annoying me too, but the Noise
ratio is quite high with purely technical things too, IMO. People could
read manuals, people could search archives, etc. But I am drifting, back
on topic: Please stop thinking about moderating == censoring.

--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb