[CentOS] scsi3 persistent reservations in cluster storage fencing

John R Pierce

pierce at hogranch.com
Fri May 20 21:28:18 UTC 2011

I'm interested in the idea of sharing a bunch of SAS JBOD devices
between two CentOS servers in an active-standby HA cluster sort of
arrangement, and found something about using scsi3 persistent
reservations as a fencing method.    I'm not finding a lot of specifics
about how this works, or how you configure two initiator systems on a
SAS chain.   I don't have any suitable hardware for running any tests or
evaluations yet.

general idea:  2 centos servers each with 8 port external SAS cards (2
x4), cascaded through a SAS box-o-disks with a whole bunch of SAS dual
ported drives, to implement high availability large nearline
storage.       all storage configured as JBOD, using linux md raid or
lvm mirroring. drives should only be accessible by the currently active
server, with heartbeat managing the fencing.

here's a hardware block diagram
http://freescruz.com/shared-sas.jpg

This is about the only details I've found on scsi persistant
reservations and linux HA
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Configuration_Example_-_Fence_Devices/SCSI_Configuration.html

One question I have is: how well will this scale with several strings of
100 SAS drives on the same HA pair of servers?

Can SAS storage instead be fenced at the SES/expander level rather than
having to use reservations with each separate drive?