[CentOS] xferlog not rotating.

Jussi Hirvi listmember at greenspot.fi
Sat May 21 18:53:01 UTC 2011

On 21.5.2011 20.43, R P Herrold wrote:
> early in the thread, it was clear from a reply's content that
> a locally installed 'ftpd' and not the CentOS vsftpd was
> being used

I think you are inadvertently confusing the issue. ftpd is mentioned in
this file (see below), but still vsftpd is used:

[root at mx2 logrotate.d]# cat vsftpd.log
/var/log/vsftpd.log {
     # ftpd doesn't handle SIGHUP properly
     nocompress
     missingok
}

/var/log/xferlog {
     # ftpd doesn't handle SIGHUP properly
     nocompress
     missingok
}

As for me, vsftpd is logging to xferlog, and it is rotated normally
(CentOS 5.6) with the following settings in vsftpd.conf:

# The target log file can be vsftpd_log_file or xferlog_file.
# This depends on setting xferlog_std_format parameter
xferlog_enable=YES
# Switches between logging into vsftpd_log_file and xferlog_file files.
# NO writes to vsftpd_log_file, YES to xferlog_file
xferlog_std_format=YES

- Jussi