[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Kevin Thorpe kevin.thorpe at pibenchmark.com
Mon May 23 09:31:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:

> On 05/20/2011 01:26 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> > I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use a new SSD
> > for moving all the disk i/o to, that Linux likes to do so
> > often.

Just be aware that SSDs wear out. They have a limited number of write
cycles.
Nowadays they all do 'wear levelling' to even the writes across the drive
but
even so they don't last very long in heavy write usage.

If you're talking swap and tmp then you can get a DRAM drive which will be
lightning fast but even with battery backup you can't expect the contents to
be kept through a power cycle.