[CentOS] OT: RHEL 6.1 is out

cornel panceac cpanceac at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:08:17 UTC 2011

2011/5/23 R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

> On Mon, 23 May 2011, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > This seems to me to be an unnecessarily agressive response
> > to what appeared to me a rational question from Les Mikesell.
>
> > But I don't think the fact that a service is free
> > entitles its proponents to be rude to those using it.
>
> You must be new to this mailing list :)
>
> no -- this post was intentional on my part as part of a new
> approach to this mailing list's 'poisonous people' [1] ... I
> am going to try: stop ignoring public misbehaviour, and rather
> point it out expressly (that is: 'shame' rather than 'shun')
>
> Sort of like St. Patrick driving the Celtic snake spirits out
> of Ireland
>
> 'Banishment' either by way of unsubscription, or moderation
> cannot work -- a troll will just subscribe another sock puppet
>
> Well-known trolls who find their entertainment during the
> workday sowing discontent here, with the techniques of
> 'Twenty-Five Rules of Disinformation' [2] and otherwise, will
> be invited by me to put up or shut up
>
> We'll see how (and if) this works -- it formerly worked well
> in the IRC channel where we could use a LART; dunno that it
> will work here

i'm afraid you're caught in a trap: you believe that people expressing their
feelings here the most are trols, when they are probably among the users who
cares most about the project and thus are trying by any means they have
(that is, only emails) to help the project.

regarding the fact we are not contributing as much as we want to the
project, i'm afraid is basicaly a documentation problem. i'd personally like
to do something to help, but i don't have the required education to do that.
i only have the will. i may be not alone in this position.
please forgive me for expressing my thoughts, but i do care about centos and
i'm afraid that without users, the developers will no longer have much
reasons to continue it. centos has gathered imho more than the required
critical mass, it would be a pitty to die just because there is a lack of
understanding between users and developers.