[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon May 23 19:29:22 UTC 2011

On 05/23/2011 01:44 PM, Jerry Franz wrote:

> But, for paranoia's sake, I would RAID1 the SSD with a second SSD.

Quote from
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/newmds-ssdtuning.html
:

    Red Hat also warns that software RAID levels 1, 4, 5, and 6 are not
    recommended for use on SSDs. During the initialization stage of these
    RAID levels, some RAID management utilities (such as mdadm) write to
    all of the blocks on the storage device to ensure that checksums
    operate properly. This will cause the performance of the SSD to degrade
    quickly.

                 Do NOT delete it.