[CentOS] Web based file versioning frontend

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Tue May 24 02:36:23 UTC 2011

On 5/20/2011 4:00 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/20/11 1:16 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>>> Git and Gitweb?
>>
>> Thought of that, is there anything that can monitor for changes so I can
>> avoid a commit command for every script, as they all dump to an already
>> well organized tree, I was hoping to monitor the top level dir for changes
>> and have it commit as they appear.
>>
>> Something like that exist?
>
> It seems like you are approaching this backwards - whatever originates the
> changes should commit, and perhaps replace the rsyncs with updates at the other
> location(s).   But, if you use subversion, it is smart enough to only commit
> actual differences so it wouldn't hurt to just schedule a fairly frequent commit
> at the top level.  If nothing changed, the commit has no effect.  The down side
> is that subversion wants a complete hidden copy under .svn in every subdirectory
> so the client can detect changes without contacting the repository.  Viewvc is a
> good web server companion for subversion to easily browse revisions and do
> color-coded diffs.

FSVS gets rid of the .svn issue and still stores the files in a SVN
repository.  Run it once to see if it detects any changes, then run it
again to actually do the automated commit.  That lets you schedule it to
run every 10-20 minutes, but it won't create a bunch of empty "nothing
changed" commits.

(I make heavy use of FSVS to keep track of config file changes and other
config changes made to the server.  Helps when trying to figure out what
has changed on the server.)