[CentOS] OT: wifi, phone, power in India and Malaysia

Richard Mollel unixtipz at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 18:12:32 UTC 2011

--- On Tue, 5/24/11, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> From: John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] OT: wifi, phone, power in India and Malaysia
> To: centos at centos.org
> Date: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 12:24 PM
> On 05/24/11 7:29 AM, Richard Mollel
> wrote:
> > Wifi is wifi, never heard of a wifi A or B.
>
> actually, there's 802.11 (original, rarely used anymore),
> 802.11a, .11b.
> .11g. and .11n, and .11n comes in multiple flavors.
> Most everything
> these days is .11b/g or b/g/n compatible.
>
> In various countries, there are different allotments of how
> many 2.4Ghz
> 'channels' are available for unlicensed use like
> wifi.  see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Channels_and_international_compatibility
>
> for a summary of this specific issue.
>
> my general experience regarding all this is the business
> model laptops
> from the major makers (for instance, the Latitudes from
> Dell) tend to
> come with wifi (and modems etc) that support multinational
> standards
> that can be reconfigured for different locales.
>   consumer grade stuff
> is less likely to have this ability enabled.

What i meant to say is that I have not heard of wifi thats strictly sort of regional. Most routers support all the major bands, and many laptops (as you pointed out) support those bands (abgn,..)
Alternatively, a GSM router is all he needs, and his wifi enabled laptop would be happy either way, even if running centos.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OT93M6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002KDBB58&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QYB43T0PRMT6BWZWWDY