[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed May 25 23:23:15 UTC 2011

Thomas Harold wrote:

>> I've read most of the articles in this thread,
>> and I haven't seen anything that persuades me
>> SSD would be a good investment in my case,
>> either in servers or laptops.

> *whistles* If you have not tried out a SSD laptop or desktop then you're
> in for a big surprise.

Actually I have an SSD laptop (in fact two),
and they are no faster for what I do,
once I have booted up.

> Especially if you multi-task at all or work with
> a few thousand small files.

I guess I don't do either.
I often look at a few remote computers from my laptop,
and perhaps download a file while editing a document,
but that is about all.

The question is, which of us is more typical?

I was going to say, more typical of CentOS users,
but I only run CentOS on two servers, and rarely login to them;
I run Fedora on my laptops.

> The main downside right now is cost and how big of a disk you can
> afford.  SSDs are wonderful, but still in the $1.50-$2.00/GB range.
> Better then it was, but I was disappointed with Intel's 25nm pricing.

For me, having a small SSD on a laptop would be much more inconvenient
than any increase in speed.

As I said, it all depends which of us is more typical of Linux users.

But I'm generally puzzled by the emphasis many people put on speed.
Unless one is a gamer, it doesn't seem to me to make much difference
if it takes 13 second or 30 seconds to boot up.
Either way it is going to take the same time to get to an URL.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net