[CentOS] yum check-updates script not working correctly

Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane todd.denniston at navy.mil
Thu May 26 14:53:48 UTC 2011

Make that, a probable, two syntax errors in the second if.
The single '=' sign does assignment, a double '==' does string compare.

Plus I think there is a simpler way to control yum, than adding all
these scripts that I don't think came in the base install.  Modify
/etc/yum/yum-updates.conf, which comes in the yum-updatesd package, and
`ckconfig yum-updatesd on` #note you probably only want one or the other
of either yum-updatesd or the scripts you have.

On some of the systems I run, the run_interval is set ~22000 and
do_update is set to no, which achieves near what I think the OP was
after.
I am not sure if setting emit_via to email or syslog would get the final
bit of what the OP was after.