[CentOS] calendar

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 27 19:05:20 UTC 2011

On 5/27/2011 1:46 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>>> Still a separate issue from running thunderbird or any other single app
>>> remotely.  From your workstation, does 'ssh -Y rh_6_box thunderbird' do
>>> something reasonable?  I suppose you would end up having to automount
>>> the users own home directories there to send/download file attachments
>>> with the locations they'd expect but that sort of thing is why we have
>>> networks.
>>>
>> Less, put this two statements in mutually connected context.
>>
>> "And I'm going to have to worry about NVidia cards, like mine, that need
>> the -173 proprietary driver...."
>> , and
>> "I think you missed the point - they run CentOS on their workstations,
>> and are X'ing to the servers. If their own workstation ain't showing,
>> they don't see nuttin'."
>>
>> He says that without proprietary drivers his implementation of "Remote
>> desktop" fails to show screen from the Server.
>
> Yup. Without the proprietary driver, most folks, who have two monitors,
> can't use both; in extreme cases, X crashes.

What does any of this have to do with running a remote X application in
a window of your currently-working X desktop?   That should work
regardless of the versions of anything at either end.  Does that 'ssh -Y
...' command to another host open a new window for you or not?  There
are some weird exceptions like firefox checking for an existing instance
already running for the same user and telling it to open a new window in
its current display, but almost everything will 'just work' when the
window/display is remote from the application, and you can either tunnel
the protocol through ssh or export the DISPLAY name where you want the
window to appear (with some contortions to permit it).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com