[CentOS] apache docroot permissions

Wed May 4 16:16:41 UTC 2011
Johan Martinez <jmartiee at gmail.com>

I have a group of users (content editors) who need read-write access to
apache document root. The apache web server is running as user:apache and
group:apache. The filesystem permissions are currently set as apache:apache.
How should I modify filesystem permission so that content editors can have
read-write permissions and webserver can serve files as well? Following is
what I have setup now, but I am not sure whether it is a good configuration.
I appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding this.

<setup>
chown -R apache:contenteditors /var/www/html
chmod u=rx /var/www/html
chmod g+w /var/www/html
chmod g+s /var/www/html

Add people editing web/html files to contenteditors group.
<setup>

thanks,
jM.