[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Fri May 20 20:26:38 UTC 2011
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

Has anyone actually used a SSD in a Centos setup?

My little experiment with a s/h WD drive for /tmp and SWAP
partitions kicked the bucket on Wednesday, when the poor WD
drive caught the click-of-death. It was a s/h drive
to start with and lasted about 4 months. But that was
without the /var/log/ partition being written to it, as I
mounted that back onto /var/log from the original drive.

So I had to install another (WD) drive, and repartion it and
rebuild my RPM package database, from the backed-up Packages
file. That seems to be all OK now.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use a new SSD
for moving all the disk i/o to, that Linux likes to do so
often. Plus putting SWAP onto a decent SSD should speed
things up somewhat.

Here's a short video of a laptop fitted with a SSD drive
booting macOS, compared to a similar laptop booting from
the standard HDD.

The laptop with the SSD boots and loads some apps in 28
seconds. The other one takes twice as long.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Extreme_Pro_6G/?utm_source=thessdreview&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=042111

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: