[CentOS] securing ldap with tls and security

Tue May 24 20:49:09 UTC 2011
David Mehler <dave.mehler at gmail.com>

Hello,
I'm trying to set up a centos 5.3 machine to do authentication via
openldap. I've got it working, I'm not sure if I have it 100% right,
but I can use ldapsearch to query the directory, use finger, id,
chown, and other utilities with ldap usernames and groups, log in via
ssh as an ldap user and if it's a new user automatically have the home
directory created.

Having got this far if anyone with a working ldap authentication
system could give my config a sanity check let me know. My goal now is
to get tls encryption going so that usernames and passwords aren't
sent in the clear. I'm using self-signed certificates for now.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.