[CentOS] Switching to php53

Sun May 1 12:02:13 UTC 2011
Lucian <lucian at lastdot.org>

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 8:50 AM, John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 08:19:49AM +0100, Lucian wrote:
>>
>> It's not really that risky, just rpm -e --nodeps and then yum install
>> php53 packages.
>
> Do not follow this advice at all; it will most likely wreck your server.
>
> Contact Plesk support or your hosting provider's support department and
> ask them about upgrading php.  Plesk, like most control panels,
> integrates quite tightly into your system; replacing the system default
> php-5.1.6 with the php53 optional package may not be supported for your
> environment.

Plesk uses stock PHP (one of the smarter things about Plesk) so you
can pretty much play around with it. The problem here is indeed the
fact that php53 from RH doesn't "Provide" "php" (other repos have this
fixed, ius etc).
What I advised wouldn't have "horribly" broken his setup; fixing it
would've been as simple and fast as uninstalling php53 and
reinstalling old php 5.1, 1 minute job.