[CentOS] RHEL 6.1 beta

Mon May 2 15:33:47 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 5/2/2011 10:14 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Major networking gear does this; cisco, for instance, gives you things like FastEthernet4/47, or GigabitEthernet2/2, or TenGigabitEthernet1/0, or POS3/0, etc for networking interfaces.  Having seen the PCI eth device flips before between update releases of EL4, to give one example, it's really nice to be able to really know what device you've plugged a particular cable into, and know it in an unequivocal, and unchanging way.

Yes, good comparison.  Imagine if you had to guess which router
interface or managed switch port configuration/name is connected to
which wire.  That's exactly the situation you have with a multi-nic
linux box - which may have an equally complex network setup.  For things
that don't need the bandwidth of multiple interfaces I've found it
easier to use a single VLAN trunk connection and split the subnets out
with vlan interfaces.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com