[CentOS] Boot speed (was: RHEL 6.1 beta)

Mon May 2 22:22:20 UTC 2011
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On 5/2/2011 10:25 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>> Trying to save a few seconds when rebooting a server seems pointlessto me
>
> The Linux kernel is also used in laptops/desktops

Fast boots also matter for embedded systems.

We integrate a series of Linux-based boxes made by another company into
our system, and one of them reboots in about 9 seconds, while the other
version takes about a minute.  The latter are a pain to code for, since
it means you have to have timeouts that can cope with a device going MIA
for over a full minute before they can be talked to again.