[CentOS] RHEL 6.1 beta

Tue May 3 16:07:43 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 5/3/2011 10:40 AM, Steve Clark wrote:

>> The numbers chosen in the eth? scheme are more or less randomized even
>> on identical hardware, so it is pretty much impossible to prepare a disk
>> to ship to a remote site and have it come up working unattended or clone
>> disk images for a large rollout.  If this gives predictable names in
>> bios-detection order it will be very useful.  Remote-site support is
>> expensive and typically not great at the quirks of Linux distributions
>> that you need to know to do IP assignments.
>>
> In my experience with Linux over the last 3 years using Centos and RH I
> have never seen the ethn device
> numbering change, and it always corresponds to the hardware vendor
> marking on the units we use.
 >
> We create images and ghost them onto various hardware platforms. I just
> make sure I remove the
> net persistent rules and the ifcfg-ethn stuff and they are then
> redetected in the correct order.

I was able to do that with the 2.4 kernel, but it hasn't worked for me
across an assortment of hardware with Centos 5.x.  Even if I try to
pre-set the HWADDR in the ifcfg-eth? files when I know them ahead of
time, there's a fair chance that moving the disk will trigger a kudzu
run that renames my prebuilt files and replaces them with a default dhcp
set.  The numbers tend to flip in pairs, though, probably corresponding
to the grouping on the motherboard and cards, so if you only have 2 they
might stay fixed.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com