[CentOS] Centos under (vmware vs KVM)

Thu May 5 12:39:56 UTC 2011
carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com>

On 05/05/2011 02:24 PM, przemolicc at poczta.fm wrote:

>>> Why ?
>>> I thought about technical comparison of both approaches.
>>> Then having it you can see if this particular approach is suitable for you.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Przemyslaw Bak (przemol)
>>>

>> Which type of comporasion do you need??
>
> Well, it seems that Best Practise would be better name for what I am looking for :-)

Best practice?? I don't think so ... You need to choose between two
different virtualization products. And the principal point here is: your
budget and your SLA.

>>    - How many vms supports each one??
>
> I am looking for information like below:
> - when you use KVM using more KVM VMs then X is not advisable since ...
>
>>    - How many nodes can install inside a cluster??
>>    - How many ram can I assign to a vm??
>
> As many as appliaction need.

It depends. There isn't a magic formula to accomplish this.

>>    - Hard and soft limits on both platforms???
>>    - What type of storage is supported on both platforms???
>
> In general when you have many OS-es (CentOS) you face following problems:
> - how to keep up with package updates ?
Like in physical world...

> - how about security - is it easier to manage many CentOS-es or just one with many KVMs ?
It's the same. But security is another beast.... You can't control your
virtual infrastructure like you do in physical world ... Virtual
infrastructures are more vulnerable ...

> - how to keep up with application maintenance (mysql, postgresql, apache, dns, etc) ?
Same as you do in physical world.

> Which approach would be better/easier ?

Between what?? vmware and kvm?? In your case, KVM is the best option if
all vms are centos.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com