[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Sat May 7 02:01:55 UTC 2011
Nicolas Ross <rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca>

>> While waiting
>> for C6, I installed an unsubscribed version of RHEL6, but it was
>> troublesome
>> to install packeges. So for those servers that were already installed, I
>> switched them to SL6 without having to re-install, and it went great
>> without
>> a pain.
>
> Did you perform a  yum reinstall \* or did you just update your repos?

I juste updated the repo and uninstalled some redhat packages :

rpm -e rhnlib rhn-client-tools rhn-setup yum-rhn-plugin rhn-check rhnsd
redhat-indexhtml redhat-lsb

rpm -e --nodeps redhat-release-server-6Server
rpm -hiv sl-release-6.0-6.0.1.x86_64.rpm

rpm -e --nodeps redhat-logos
rpm -hiv redhat-logos-60.0.14-1.sl6.1.noarch.rpm

I did a test for yum reinstall \*, and saw that 565 out of the 623 packages
were to be re-installed, so I didn't want to get into problems with a remote
server, I left it that way. I will do a reinstall on a server I got at the
office, and I'll report back.