[CentOS] No sound on HP 8540w, guidance requested

Sat May 7 16:28:29 UTC 2011
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 07/05/11 16:22, David wrote:
> Dear Experts
>
> I have been unsuccessful getting the sound to work on a HP Mobile
> Workstation HP 8540w.
>
> Here's a brief rundown of where I am
>
> I did a clean new install of Centos 5.6 from DVD, using the Gnome
> Desktop option and no optional modules.
> I enabled the firewall, but disabled SELINUX.
>
> I installed three files from elrepo to make the wireless adaptor
> work, and specified the video adaptor using the Gnome ->  System ->
> Preferences ->  Display panel.

Hi David,

If you're already familiar with elrepo then I'd suggest you try their
updated alsa sound drivers.

yum --enanlerepo=elrepo install kmod-alsa

and reboot.

Also, don't forget to check your sound device isn't muted. The ALSA docs
state:

Note: All mixer channels are muted by default. You must use a native
       or OSS mixer program to unmute appropriate channels (for example a
       mixer from the alsa-utils package).