[CentOS] How to add a HD to a LVM

Sun May 8 07:03:49 UTC 2011
Ken Smith <kens at kensnet.org>

Todd Cary wrote:
> I have connected a HD that was a prior system drive (Centos 4.8)
> and I am not sure of the command line procedures to find out if
> it is recognized (I believe it is since it present in the GUI),
> delete all data on it and finally add it to the LVM.
>
> I would like to use it as a backup data drive.
>
> Todd

This is an excellent tutorial on LVM.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

Are you planning to join it to an existing Volume Group and then create
a LV on it for backup? My preference would be to keep things simple and
to aid recovery in the future, maybe just format the disk ext3 for
backup. Then it is easy to plug into another box for recovery. But, I'm
just guessing how you plan to use it.

Ken

believed to be clean.