[CentOS] Building a Back Blaze style POD

Mon May 9 17:03:59 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 05/09/11 8:10 AM, Jason wrote:
> The only thing that confuses me about chassis like these is I always miss something that I needed to order to complete the machine. They all come with different things. In the chassis you mention. I would obviously need to still need to buy a mobo, processor, RAM, RAID cards...

I would use mdraid mirroring on a system like that.   Cabling-wise, you
would need a non-raid SAS card for the supermicro, one with 1-2 SFF-8087
4 channel SAS connectors, as the supermicro case has expander backplanes

If thats all too much, then buy a complete system from a VAR who
integrates it for you, or something like...

http://www.sgi.com/products/storage/servers/iss3500.html
(which sure looks like the exact same thing to me)