[CentOS] Changing default paper size to A4 on CentOS 5 (Kyocera FS1920 printer)

Tue May 10 15:10:16 UTC 2011
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr>

Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Kyocera FS1920 network printer, and I run an up-to-date
> CentOS 5.6 x86_64 workstation.
>
> When I try to print with evince or Firefox the default paper size is
> always set to US Letter whereas the printer use A4.
>
> I have searched and other people seem to have the problem, but the
> only recommendations that I have found boil down to setting the
> default paper size to A4 in the CUPS printer settings.
> I had done that already and double-checked via the Printer config UI
> or the CUPS web interface (http://localhost:631), but to no avail.

I remember fighting with this kind of issue.
let's see....
OK, I have this in my .bash_profile :

# no default locale, this is BAD and breaks eg normal sort!
#export LC_ALL=C
# commented that to try to use UTF8 (be more modern), and it
# broke printing with evince because the stupid program looks
# at LC_PAPER for that (and prints in letter with the default
# en_US.UTF-8 locale)
# en_GB should print in A4 by default
export LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF_8"

HTH!