[CentOS] RHEL 6/CentOS

Wed May 11 22:12:23 UTC 2011
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 11/05/11 19:01, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/11/2011 12:32 PM, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>> Hello Steve,
>>
>> On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 09:10 -0400, Steve Clark wrote:
>>> On 05/11/2011 08:49 AM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>>>    I had looked there before and there we no kernels for 6.0.
>>>
>>> Just checking now and still don't see any. Am I missing something?
>>
>> The fact that 6.0 hasn't been released yet ;p
>
> There is some stuff in http://elrepo.org/linux/testing/el6/, but no
> complete kernels.  Has the change in the way RH releases kernel source
> made it too difficult to manage modifications?

ELRepo has plenty of packages available for RHEL6. We (elrepo) worked
closely with upstream during the beta of 6 to ensure we had a process
that was ready to go as soon as 6 was released.

At this point we have chosen not to do a mainline kernel for RHEL6. This
has absolutely nothing to do with the way the RHEL6 kernel sources are
packaged. The elrepo kernel-ml is a packaged mainline kernel (from
kernel.org) and has nothing to do with the RHEL kernel. It has far more
to do with the fact the distro kernel in 6 is a lot newer and thus there
is currently less need for a packaged mainline kernel. We (Alan) already
maintains 2 mainline kernels packaged for RHEL5 (the 2.6.35 long term
support and 2.6.38 latest stable) and that represents a significant
amount of work for one person, in addition to everything else he does.
Adding another one or two kernel series for 6 is not a task to undertake
lightly.