[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Thu May 12 13:37:53 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 05/12/2011 01:08 AM, Mark Bradbury wrote:

>     >
>     > Do you expect the C6.0 -> C6.1 differences to be more complex, or less
>     > complex than the C5.5 -> C5.6 differences ?
>     >
>     > And given that C5.6 took 3 months, are there any reasons why C6.1
>     would
>     > take no more than 1 month ?
>
>     Get over yourself Dag ... for goodness sake.
>

> Why? seems like a valid point to me.

1.  Have you, or anyone else, noticed the speed of the CentOS-5 and
CentOS-4 updates recently?  We have spread out the building and checking
up updates .. there has been a marked improvement is release speed for
updates.

2.  Have you, or anyone else, noticed that we have started pushing out
the upstream EL Fastrack channel for CentOS-5.  In CentOS it is named
fasttrack (spelling) on our end due to upstream IP restrictions.

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/fasttrack/

3.  Have you, or anyone else, noticed the QA tracking site that is open
to the public?

http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/

There is a dashboard of recent events:

http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/dashboard

There is even an RSS feed:

http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/feed

Most of the names who are posting there and taking action are NOT CentOS
Project guys, but community people ... isn't that what people were
asking for?

4.  Have you, or anyone else, noticed the aggregated list of status
announcements that we now have?  The forum moderators are great and they
have started an announcement forum area where they aggregate important
information:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=53

It does not seem to matter what we try to do,  what we get is petty
comments about how nothing changes.  Nothing could be further from the
truth.