[CentOS] ApacheDS vs OpenLDAP

Fri May 13 17:28:17 UTC 2011
aurfalien at gmail.com <aurfalien at gmail.com>

On May 12, 2011, at 6:08 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:

> On Friday, May 13, 2011 04:07 AM, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Wondering if any of you have thoughts/experiences with ApacheDS?
>>
>> We've all had trials and tribulations regarding OpenLDAP and while
>> its
>> basically working pretty well in a master/slave relationship,
>> ApacheDS
>> claims more robust replication, etc...
>>
>> Granted I am working with the version bundled with CentOS, I do
>> understand that the latest OpenLDAP is wayyyyyyy betterrrr :)
>
> Since you are shopping, I wonder if you have looked at opends?

No, but after reading your post I checked it.

Looks cool, Java based which seems the in thing, I like it.

But, and not to sound lamerz; the Sun sponsor turned me off.

At this stage in my career and life. I look at these feeble attempts
by large virus like organizations to say "hey look world, we encourage
free and open... " like Microsoft making a big deal about donating
$100K to the Apache Foundation.

- aurf