[CentOS] Problem Making Tarballs

Mon May 16 12:10:18 UTC 2011
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:32 AM, John J. Boyer
<john.boyer at abilitiessoft.com> wrote:
> I have a CentOS virtual private server from 1and1.com If I checkout or
> pull something from a repository, it will contain an autogen.sh file
> Running this and then configure seems to work. However, when I run make
> I get a lot of error messages from libtool saying that such and such a
> command could not be found on some line or that there is a syntax error.
> This happens even with the latest updates. Several people have been
> unable to help. What is the problem, and what should I do about it?

I don't really see what this has to do with creating a tarball. Your
question relates more to the building of the software binaries than
the packaging.

Generally what you're seeing is attributed to missing dependencies for
the build process. For example, you may be missing several -devel
packages required for the proper compilation of the software, or
what's shipped in centos may simply not be new enough.

George Orwell