[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Tue May 17 22:57:28 UTC 2011
Ralph Angenendt <ralph.angenendt at gmail.com>

Am 17.05.11 13:37, schrieb Benjamin Franz:
> On 05/16/2011 02:44 PM, nemus at grayhatlabs.com wrote:
>> I never thought sliced bread was all that great.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better for people to donate money to help push things along
>> faster?
>>
>> I mean if your really upset about how long its taken to come out why don't
>> you donate some money to help the people who are working for free?
>
> Love to. Actually got approval from my company to do so years ago: The
> project donations page has been down ("CentOS is currently reviewing our
> cash donation program. In the mean time we are not accepting any
> financial donations. We do appreciate though, if you want to - for
> example - help out with promo material. See our Wiki page on donations
> <http://wiki.centos.org/Donate> for more up to date information.") for
> around two years now.

Which somehow seems to be a sign that money is not what is needed by the
project. It is after all a project run by people which have normal jobs
on the side.

> It is very hard to take dev complaints about how 'no one wants to
> contribute' seriously when the devs have avoided setting up an easy
> mechanism for people to contribute money *to the project* for years now.
> Money doesn't solve all problems (and creates some new ones of its own),
> but it can pay developers, buy new servers for development, and create
> other resources.

We're still looking for people offering things like promo swag which can
then be given away at fairs (especially things like preprinted DVDs,
Shirts and other giveaway things). Maybe I should update that page to
point at the wiki page http://wiki.centos.org/Donate which already has
some of that stuff. Money is not really what the project is after.

> If they just want people to give them money personally (which some devs
> have, perhaps tongue in cheek, suggested on this list) with no
> accountability or expectation that that money actually specifically
> support the project, well, they can keep dreaming.

I wonder which devs that should have been - well I haven't read this
list for some time, so I probably overlooked it.

Ralph