[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Wed May 18 13:48:30 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 09:23:14 AM Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> Rebuilding somebody else's sources without their build environment isn't
> typical.  It's MindReading 101.

It's worse than that in the specific case of EL6.  It's replicating the result without replicating the build system.  It's a pretty well-known thing that upstream is building with Koji fed from a source code management system;  CentOS is not as far as we know (and it's overkill anyway, unless you add several things to the distribution as SL does, and they're using Koji for SL6, and started learning Koji and setting up their buildsystem for 6 nearly a year ago).  Koji in fact will not allow, by default, a 'normal' user to rebuild from source RPM, but requires building out of the SCM for normal users.  The case of a 'from source RPM' rebuild is not Koji's forte.

It's also fairly well-known that mock builds in koji and mock builds outside of koji can sometimes differ.  Grep the archives of several lists to verify that; I've seen it before, but I don't have time at the moment to pull up the reference.  I have a VAX to redisk and boot up....