[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Sun May 22 04:57:27 UTC 2011
Steven Crothers <steven.crothers at gmail.com>

That's expensive, don't know about you but I don't factor in drives to
be dead within 3-4 months of installation for my machines. Running
swap on an MLC SSD will most definitely kill it in 3-4 months. You
expect to get at least 18-36 months out of a drive before it either
dies or requires an upgrade.

500GB Sata disks = $150 for good ones, that's $150 every 30 months (2
1/2 years).

A CHEAP OCZ MLC drive is $100 for 40GB, burn one of those every 4
months and you have to buy 8 in the same 2 1/2 years.

That's a $650 operating increase, or an additional $21/mo for a rented
server before profit mark up. Why not just use what Linux was designed
to use? A regular spinning disk, if you want performance get into Raid
10 with SAS drives. You'll get a significant speed increase at a lower
monthly operating cost due to the longevity of the drives, and you can
avoid all that pesky restore from backup situation 4 times a year.

Lets face it, a var partition goes and you're gonna have a hard time
starting up some services on boot, depending on your setup SSH wont
start. So now you're entering the realm of remote hands and eyes fees,
and at minimum that's going to be $50/hr with a hefty commit (if
you're in a quality datacenter of course).