[CentOS] OT: RHEL 6.1 is out

Mon May 23 01:02:45 UTC 2011
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 05/22/2011 02:57 PM, R P Herrold wrote:
> customary trolling by Gordon Messmer -- passive agressive,
> implying an unmet obligation

The only obligation that I think exists is for everyone to have
reasonable expectations of the project.  If I have ever implied
otherwise, please point me toward it.  I intended no such thing.

Random people keep expressing their belief that 6.1 will, for reasons
they do not state, be ready in short order.  There is no evidence that
6.1 will take any less time than any other release.

If users had more realistic expectations, there would quite possibly be
less discussion regarding release dates.  Instead we repeatedly see
people expecting a short release and then long threads when that doesn't
happen.

I'd be thrilled if 6.1 were ready quickly.  I just don't expect it.  My
obligation to the CentOS team is to observe the time that previous
releases have required, to understand that there is a great deal of work
involved, and to maintain an expectation that future work will probably
be a lot like work that's been done before.  I think every user has that
obligation to the developers.