[CentOS] Keep CentOS 5.5 from upgrading?

Mon May 23 09:53:22 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 05/22/2011 09:22 AM, Mailing List wrote:

>    Thanks,
>
>      I'm trying to keep CentOS 5.5 from upgrading to 5.6 because of my
> issue with the time sync. I thought I had it figured out till today. I
> have tried google for help but with no luck.  Can someone point me to a
> page or link that will give me a good idea as to how to stop the upgrade
> but still allow me to update my 5.5 packages?
>
>   This is what I tried, that is not working now.
>
> I edited "/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo"  to look as such.
>
> <snip>
> [base]
> name=CentOS-5.5 - Base
> ## name=CentOS-5.5 - Base
> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=5.5&arch=$basearch&repo=os
> #baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
> priority=1
> </snip>

In your case, it was a specific kernel that was giving you problems, if
I remember correctly.

You can put this in your yum.conf file to prevent upgrading the kernel:

exclude=kernel kernel-devel kernel-PAE

Now, eventually you will have other things not work without an upgraded
kernel. For example, any "kmods" will eventually not upgrade as they
will require newer kernels in the future.

You can also point only at our vault if you really want everything to
stay at the 5.5 level ... but I do not recommend it.

The vault path would be:

baseurl=http://vault.centos.org/5.5/<repo>/$basearch/

(where <repo> is os, updates, extras, centosplus, etc.)

You can not use mirrorlist in that scenario.