[CentOS] OT: RHEL 6.1 is out

Mon May 23 19:07:34 UTC 2011
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 05/23/2011 11:02 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> I was first to suggest that C6.1 **might** be released in **about** a
> month from C6.0. Why? Because I suspect that since RHEL 6.1 srpms are
> already published, devs could use free time, while waiting for QA team
> to find bugs, to dry-run 6.1 srpms and see how many problems there are.
> Any having fresh experience with 6.0, they do not need to try to
> remember what was it that made a problem several months ago, in case of
> version to version time span. I believe that devs are already working on
>    6.1, lightly but steadily.

I've never seen the developer suggest that releases are longer because
they don't remember how the last one was finished.

The point that Dag and I were trying to make, I think, was simply that
your expectations are unrealistic.

Unrealistic expectations aren't helping anyone.  They're not good for
users, and they breed frustration when they're not met.

A lot of the conversation in that thread was centered around the highly
contentious issue of whether or not the release delays constitute a
problem.  That's a separate issue, which everyone should evaluate based
on their own needs.  However, no one can properly evaluate that question
without realistic expectations regarding the time required to produce
releases and patches.